Parakeets and parrots: detect poisoning in birds

Parakeets and parrots: detect poisoning in birds

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Parakeets and parrots can quickly poison themselves in the household
A little inattention is enough to put birds in mortal danger during their free flight at home. Because many things in the house or apartment are highly toxic to parakeets and parrots. Therefore, keepers should always be careful not to leave risky items such as fragrance lamps, paints or full ashtrays open. Has the animal swallowed something or shows symptoms such as Disorientation or diarrhea should be consulted with the veterinarian as soon as possible.

There are many causes
If birds fly freely at home, poisoning can quickly occur. The possible causes are diverse and range from metal poisoning (e.g. through lead tapes in curtains, solder joints, zinc noses on the aviary wire) to spoiled food and poisonous plants that are nibbled on by the birds. There are also a number of gases and vapors that are toxic to small feathered friends and therefore extremely dangerous. These include, for example, cigarette smoke, fragrance lamps, insect and impregnation spray as well as varnishes and paints. Likewise, carbon monoxide can cause poisoning from fireplaces in closed rooms or vapors from a strongly heated Teflon frying pan.

Poisoning is often difficult to detect
Accordingly, according to the animal protection organization Peta, keepers should always pay close attention to what they leave open and especially with risky things such as Take special care with medicines, detergents and scented candles. If a bird has poisoned itself, it is often difficult to recognize, explains the animal welfare organization in an interview with the news agency "dpa". Because depending on the cause, the symptoms can be very different. For example, the following are possible apathetic behavior, diarrhea, vomiting, balance problems, paralysis and tumbling, in other cases the animals hold their heads askew or suffer from muscle cramps and shortness of breath.

If there is a suspicion of poisoning, the animal must be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible, because waiting can be fatal. On the way to the doctor, the bird should be kept warm and as dark as possible, according to the Association of Budgerigar Friends Germany (VWFD), so as not to put it under stress. Eliminations such as vomit or feces should be taken along on the advice of the club, so that they can be examined if necessary. (No)

Author and source information

Video: Happy Budgies - Budgerigar Sounds to Play for Your Parakeets. Discover PARROTS