Mushroom season started: around 100 species can harm health

Mushroom season started: around 100 species can harm health

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

“Mushroom season” starts: Around 100 types of mushrooms are harmful to health
The mushroom season has started in Germany. Many Germans love to stroll through meadows and forests from September and bring delicious mushrooms home with them. However, experts always warn against carelessness. According to Minister of Health Huml, there are 100 potentially harmful types of fungi in Bavaria alone.

Tasty edible mushrooms with dangerous doubles
At the start of the "mushroom season" (mushroom season) Bavaria's Minister of Health Melanie Huml (CSU) warned against carelessness when collecting mushrooms. “There are around 100 types of mushrooms in Bavaria that are considered harmful to health. Up to eight species are even classified as fatally toxic. In order to avoid dangerous poisoning, mushroom pickers should only eat mushrooms they know, ”said the politician in a press release. She also said: “Even for experienced collectors, it is not always easy to distinguish tasty edible mushrooms from unappealing doubles. Even a comparison with pictures in a mushroom guide does not always help. If you are unsure, you should seek advice from an expert. "

If in doubt, ask experts for advice
Such experts can be found on the Internet, among other things. For example, the German Society for Mycology (DGfM) has published a list of experts on its website in Berlin, most of whom work free of charge or for a small fee. To be on the safe side, you can also use home-grown mushrooms from your own garden. Although this is not particularly common in Germany, various edible mushrooms can be cultivated in the home garden.

Act quickly if you suspect fungal poisoning
If you have symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting or acute abdominal pain after eating a mushroom meal, you are suspected of being poisoned by the fungus. Then the emergency doctor (112) should be called immediately or the poison emergency call of the federal state concerned should be contacted. Doctors warn against taking medication on their own. Affected people should drink plenty of water and ideally take the remains of mushrooms for medical treatment. Minister Huml, who is a doctor herself, also said: “Shortness of breath, dizziness or sweating may also be a sign of fungal poisoning. Even after six to eight hours, in rare cases even after a week, gastrointestinal complaints can indicate poisoning. However, such complaints can also be a fungus tolerance or food poisoning. You should definitely clarify that. "

Concern for radioactive contamination of wild mushrooms
Many collectors are also concerned about the possible high radioactive contamination in wild mushrooms. The soil has also been contaminated in this country since the Chernobyl disaster. On April 26, 1986, after a meltdown in the nuclear power plant in Ukraine, large amounts of radioactive substances were released into the environment. The contamination reached as far as Germany. As it is said, the measurement results in the Bavarian soils are very different. The Society for Nutrition recommends to limit the consumption of wild mushrooms to 250 grams per week. Fungi can also contain heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium. (ad)

Author and source information

Video: These 25 Types Of Mushrooms Are Grown Around The World For Both Food and Medicine